Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catch up - First ride

Ok- so I have a few rides to catch up on. So far all I have really talked about was my reasoning for starting cycling and the picking up of the bikes. So with a few rides now under my bib-knicks, its time to document them starting with our first ride.

22-07-07 Ride 1 - The first steps
Dist 24.1km
Trip Time 1:42:00
Av Speed 13.2kph
Max Speed 37.5kph

Lisa and I picked up the bikes and hit the road. We started by riding up the back streets on our way to the studio to drop off some stuff before our ride proper. Lisa was pretty nervous on the road and is very I'll at ease when ever we come across a car on the road. I feel pretty comfortable and I am sure with time Lisa will loose some of her fear.

Along the way, my pump falls from the frame clip that BSC scrounged up to hold it onto the bike (note- my old MTB was stolen from our apartment carport a few months earlier and all I had left was the pump which I had brought upstairs). Oh well, BSC did what they could to find a frame clip that would fit the pump. This will need more investigation later.

After fiddling about with the bikes in the studio (remove all the crappy reflectors, attach the bike lock mount, work out the bike computer), we head off towards the Yarra bike path near Victoria Gardens, Richmond. Along the way we stop and adjust Lisa's seat (down a tad so she feels more comfortable) and on one downhill back street I am inspired to accelerate away and pick up some speed (the wind rushing by feels great but yikes- that really took it out of me!).

Finally we make our way to the path and there is group after group of Christians walking along the path, blocking the whole damn thing and only moving after I yell out several times (and then having to endure their smart ass comments as I pass by). They all seem to be walking to some prayer meeting (?) in a park and they mostly act like a pack of dicks to Lisa and I on the bike path. Not impressed and I wish I had the presence of mind to stop and challenge them.

After passing the morons, we follow the path along the river and I am dismayed at the condition of a lot of it. Its all cracked and bumpy and not a great deal of fun. I suggest to Lisa that we ride on the Boulevard but she isn't too keen on that idea and we stay on the path.

After a quick stop for a drink, we keep riding and hit our first hill (OK- so it was a slight incline). I was riding ahead and had picked up some pace on the previous downhill in an attempt to clear the upcoming uphill easier, but as I slowed... and slowed.. and... slow...ed, Lisa came riding past me in a high gear looking cool as a cucumber. At the top of the hill, Lisa was waiting for me and I was both amazed at her ability to climb with NO effort and also dismayed at my lack of fitness. Reality check- OUCH!

We ride on and make our way to Southbank for lunch, locking our bikes and admiring them (hehe). While walking about looking for something to eat, I realise I am still walking about with my tracksuit pant tucked into my sock and I feel an even bigger dick than I already do in these crappy clothes. Mental note- MUST get some proper clothes for cycling for self dignity!

After lunch we ride over the bridge to Finders St Station taking the underpass to the road. We walk up Elizabeth St and turn to ride up Collins street. Its about now, riding up Collins St hill that I realise part of the reason I am hurting on the hills SO much is that I am riding with sneakers on the plastic clip in inserts in the clip pedals. I am trying to put the power though a very narrow platform with half the width of my foot hanging off the edge and my feet and ankles are starting to hurt as a result.

Lisa does her trick again and rides up the hill like it is not even there, while I am spinning along in a very low gear, sweating and straining and generally feel crap about myself. It's about this time I decide that Lisa will now be dubbed- "Polka dot Lisa", in honor of her climbing prowess.

We make our way up Nicholson St and I am really in a world of pain. The hills are killing me (yes I know- what hills?), my feet and ankles are hurting from the crappy narrow pedals and my butt is sore and chaffed from the tracksuit pants I am wearing. This is SHIT with a capital S and I vow not to ride again till I get some proper clip shoes and padded shorts.

Turn right into Gertrude St and left down Brunswick Street- ahhh.. a nice downhill I can regain my breath and composure. Through the busy part of Brunswick St and it feels good to be whizzing past all these cars. Up Queens Pde towards home we go (Hooray!) and yet another damn hill. We are in the service lane (Polka Dot Lisa doesn't feel confidant enough to be on the main road and I'm slow and starting to weave a bit). Eventually we make it home and I am rooted, while Polka Dot Lisa didn't even raise a sweat. *sigh*

This is going to be a long road ahead for me.
I am disheartened, but not discouraged!

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anne said...

Go Vidman! It gets easier. The pain you are feeling is pretty much normal for a start. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice wheels and good to hear you're enjoying the riding. I only really started riding last Dec and now its an absolute obsession.

Should try some Beach Rd riding too

Or join the BV Forum gang for a BBC ride (which you proly already do since I saw the links on your blog)

Commi

Anonymous said...

Stick at it Vidman. The first four to six weeks can have moments of downright unpleasantness, then it can rapidly become compulsive. Sounds like you're on the right track.