Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A new beginning

Our second ride, stopping for a toilet break at DocklandsSo this is my blog. What's it all about you may (or may not) ask?

I began this blog as a way to document my life, experiences and happenings involving cycling. To document my (hopefully) improved fitness and weight loss, the good and the bad, the highs and the lows.

Why cycling you ask? Well, I used to ride my bike (BMX) as a kid after school and on the weekends, each and every day. I was a budding motocrosser and seeing as I couldn't ride my motocross bike on the streets- BMX would have to do.

Several years later and with the arrival of my baby sister Sara, my family moved to a larger house in Ringwood (an outer eastern suburb of Melbourne). I was used to living in the inner city (Richmond) and somehow, riding around the dead suburban streets of Ringwood just didn't cut it and I soon lost interest. Richmond had industrial obstacle to jump off, leap over and bounce off. Ringwood had... umm... empty streets and I knew no one. Sure, I got older and tried a bit of mountain biking but it never really seemed the same and my time on a bicycle became nothing more than a memory.

Cut forward to 2007 and my wife and I are watching Le Tour de France on SBS TV late one night (we had become fans of the race and watched it every night) and it was great. I loved watching the drama of the race, the crazy crowds on the side of the roads (especially the mountain stages), and the beautiful French country side. I had always dreamed of cycling from village to village, stopping to buy fresh bread and cheeses for a picnic lunch but of course I have never been able to travel to France and I can't see being able to do so in the near future.

So anyway, I'm watching the TdF pass me by on the TV when it hit me like a bolt out of the blue- "Why can't Lisa and I buy road bikes and take a touring holiday around the Barossa Valley?" I pose the question to Lisa and she jumps at the idea and we are off! We start looking at bikes online, visiting bike shops and getting into it all. Lisa buys some cycling magazines and suddenly- its all we can both think about. I'm more excited about the idea of Lisa and me going cycling than I have been about anything else for a long, long time.

I'm not only excited about the idea of going for a holiday around the Barrosa, I'm also excited about the idea of loosing weight, gaining fitness and most importantly- sharing the experiences with Lisa.

So we settle on Kona flat bar road bikes each (me- Dr Dew and Lisa- Dew Deluxe) and we find Matt at Brunswick Street Cycles great to deal with. And so- with great excitement we buy our bikes, some cycling clothing (who would have thought we would be wearing lycra!) and we are off on the start of our new life.

We have been on two rides so far (weather has conspired against us so far) and I will talk about those rides and other cycling related experiences we have encountered in later posts. Also coming will be a log of our rides once I get around to setting up a spreadsheet and linking to it.

Ok, thats enough rambling from me for now.

Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to cycle through life with you : )

Anne said...

Looks good - How did you go link the spreadsheet from Docs onto the front page? No drama?

Anne (AKA Dale, Steve, Stav)

Anne said...

And good on you both for taking the next step in you "journey".

The cycling thing is amazing how it just engulfs you.

Good luck - I'll be subscribing to a feed from you blog and look forward to reading of your progress.

Well done.

Vidman said...

anne said- "Looks good - How did you go link the spreadsheet from Docs onto the front page? No drama?"

It was easy really I just created the spread sheet in Google Docs (no formulas required- its just data straight from my bike computer), saved it and clicked the publish button (with the option to not allow anyone to edit it- just view it) and it gave me a url to the spread sheet.

Then in Blogger I added a side bar item and added the link to the spread sheet in that text (I had to add the html code for the link but that's not an issue to me- I'm a web designer).

Polas said...

Well done Vidman! Hope you enjoy your cycling. Remember to take a pump, a spare tube and tire levers with you!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read all about your journey Vidman

: D

Miss Bubbles

Anonymous said...

hey fatty fatty

:P

Anonymous said...

keep it up vidman. it is nice to hear how excited you and your wife are.

cycling is very rewarding but like everything it has its hard times, like cold, rain or crashes but keep at it and the rewards will come.

you will also feel much stronger and fitter before long.

Paul Petch said...

hey Vidman- I've not posted on Infront for a long time (ilostmypassword) - but check it weekly and after reading teh thread on cycling, I just can't resist a post to wish you the best of luck. I'll be sure to follow your journey to fitness! Cheers, Paul.

(p.s. i'd like to add your blog story to my blog at www,gippslandhasmorethancheese.com if that's ok with you?)

Vidman said...

Hey Paul, Thanks for the encouragement. Sure no probs- post my story on your website. Just send me a link so I can have a look :). Cheers!