Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mofo snakes on a bike!

Last week after work on Thursday, Sara dropped over after work to go for a ride with me. I suggested it to her to help keep her rolling along and Sara seemed to appreciate it.

Once we got sorted and ready to go, there wasn’t a whole heap of sunlight left but have lights will ride! We decided to follow the Merri Creek path as we had not ridden that way yet. Dropping down onto the path at High St the path was a bit of a surprise. The trees and creek crossings made it feel like we were a million miles away from the city and it was cool and refreshing.

As we passed under the Heidelberg Rd bridge, the path took an unexpected uphill so I jumped out of the saddle and worked the pedals hard to climb my way to the top. The light was low so my vision was less than optimal so as I approached a stick on the ground half way up the hill, it was something of a surprise to see the stick was in fact a SNAKE (see image above, note- not actual snake LOL)!

Now, I’m not the biggest fan of creepy crawlies, snakes and spiders so to say I was surprised was an understatement! I swerved suddenly around the snake, freaked that it would rear up and bite me. As I was moving pretty slowly at this stage I almost lost my balance but I kept it together and rode on past as fast as I could. I yelled out a warning to Sara and stopped at the top. Sara was able to keep pedaling till just past the snake where she got off and walked to the top. Whew, that was a bit of a scare for both of us.

We rode on along the path and wouldn’t you know it- there was a sign warning of snakes. Pity they didn’t have that sign up earlier! LOL We turned across the creek towards the Fairfield Boathouse to make it a loop. Both of us rode cautiously and kept our eyes open for more snakes. Strangely enough, in the dim light on pretty isolated tracks in the park, there were several single women walking in the dark with their iPods on. I don’t like to be paranoid but that seems like a bit of a risky thing to do.

Along the way I chatted to Sara about her getting some knicks and she was starting to get used to the idea. I think it’s just the initial idea of lycra that freaks most people out until they get out with other riders and see that its not all that bad. We crossed over Heidelberg Rd onto Westgarth Rd and cruised back home for a nice quick spin.

Neat-O!

Share/Bookmark

No comments: