Friday, November 23, 2007

The horses are on the track!

Continuing with the overdue ride reports, this ride report is about a Melbourne Cup public holiday ride to Mordialloc and back.

The day dawned sunny, clear and warm. Heading down to the meeting point in St Kilda and the roads were extra quiet except for all the early morning race goers at Flinders Street station headed for Flemington in their finery. Polkadotlisa and I had a good chuckle at all the cashed up bogans (CUBs) dressed on in wanky suits with their collars up and tool-worthy shoes and sunglasses on. I weep for the future!

At the meet point the group all arrived promptly except for the rider organiser- Jane (vicjane). One rider I had never met before was an older guy John (fixie on the BV forum). He was on a MBC R1 bike that he had just recently picked up and Matt (commi) was green with envy (Matt was STILL waiting to get his bike). John was a bit stiff and sore from a recent crash and wasn’t able to reach his back pockets, so I was a little worried about him right from the start. Eventually Jane turned up and we all set off towards Mordi.

We had a slight headwind so we rode at a manageable pace of around 26-28kph, but before we even got to Brighton, John had to pull out with his heart rate apparently skyrocketing! We were all a bit worried about him but he assured us he would be fine so we rode onwards as he turned back.

At one set of lights, a few riders pulled up behind us with a car load of partying louts yelling stupid crap at us all. As the riders rolled past us they commented that “their not with us” which was pretty funny. Just what is it with some people in cars wanting to yell things at cyclists who are not in the way or doing anything wrong? I just don’t understand it!

With the headwind giving us some resistance, Richard (RDK) and I took over the lead a bit before Hampton to give Jane and Marc a break from the wind. Richard and I pushed hard to keep the pace up with everyone giving a bit of a sprint into Black Rock.

As we left Black Rock, I called PDL up so she could take her turn on the front but combined with the effort to sprint, her lack of drinking while riding and the rolling hills around Rickets Point, PDL was struggling with the pace and she dropped off a bit. We all splintered up over the hills but with some hard work, we all regrouped into the final flat into Mordi.

The tradition rest stop was pretty quiet for a change with not as many riders assembled. So the usual pee, drink and chat were had and we all headed back towards St Kilda for breakfast.

The pace back was really on and everyone was splintered up fairly quickly over the hills. PDL was a bit ahead of me on the uphills but I was able to close back in on her without going into the red zone too much and we rode together from Black Rock all the way to St Kilda.

Along the way we passed a heap of riders, some looking far fitter and lighter than me, and on lighter, faster road bikes than my heavy flat bar. To say I was pleased was an understatement. It’s not that I want to beat other riders; it’s just the fact that I CAN beat other riders that makes me happy. It’s a measure of my improvement and that is the best reward I can think of.

Back in St Kilda and the rest of Melbourne was just starting to wake up. We took a table outside the usual post ride stop (the Grocery Bar in Fitzroy St) and had our usual eats and drinks. Yum!

PDL and I talked about doing a group ride up the 1:20 and everyone seemed keen about the idea which would later on turn out to be a really popular ride (see later post).

After breakfast we all split up and went our ways. As PDL and I rode down Brunswick St back towards home, we were both enjoying the ride so much we just wanted to roll on and on and on. However a BBQ that afternoon was beckoning so we finished with a good speedy 72km of early morning riding under our belts.

PS- Later that day there was a horse race. Some horse won with a tiny guy on its back, much cheep booze was drunk, many a cheap polyester frock was vomited on and the trashy had their moment in the sun. The sport of kings they say… classy!

Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Polkadotlisa and I had a good chuckle at all the cashed up bogans (CUBs) dressed on in wanky suits with their collars up and tool-worthy shoes and sunglasses on. I weep for the future! "

"...much cheep booze was drunk, many a cheap polyester frock was vomited on and the trashy had their moment in the sun. The sport of kings they say… classy!"

Um, VM - for one who appears anxious to avoid stereotypes based on physical appearance, this reads as some pretty deep stereotyping. All good wishes with the cycling, etc, but these comments diminish the story.

Anonymous said...

Vidman is just saying it as it is....CUB's are out of control!

Keep spinning those wheels big fella!

Anonymous said...

I just realised you have lost 10KGs god dam boy good one. Coming into danger period, make sure you match each craving with double exercise. Well done.

Vidman said...

Actually (whoever you are hehe), I have lost 12.8kg since I started weighing myself. And considering I was cycling for a few weeks before I brought some scales, I would guess my starting weight was up around the 145kg mark.

Cravings? Not really much of an issue. My improved diet hasn't really been that tough to deal with all along. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi vidman,

I just noticed that your weight has dropped below 130 kg. Keep up the good work :-)

Penny

Anonymous said...

hey man, update your weight or have you backed off what's going on?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm anonymous, you seem to be fairly judgemental youself.
Vidman and I are not "class snobs", nor "pretentious dickheads". Whilst what was said admittedly came across a bit snobby on reflection, it was said in jest. "CUB" was a term described to us by a friend who describes herself this. "I weep for the future" is a quote from Ferris Beuller's Day off. Besides, most of us like to have a laugh at the vagaries of fashion and behaviour. Although it's fun to chuckle at various looks, we would never say anything nasty to the wearers. They could very well been laughing at our cycling gear , and that's fine! It takes all sorts to make this world interesting place.
Lighten up a bit! : D