Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ride updates- 1st Dec to 8th Dec 2007

Continuing on with the backdated ride updates, here is a few ride reports from 1st December to the 8th of December 2007.

1st December 2007 - Northcote > St Kilda > Frankston return
Distance: 109.5
Ride Description: Flat with some hills
Weather: Fine with a little headwind on the way down

Today’s ride was an especially early start as Polkadotlisa and Sara had to be at Hampton at 7am for the first Cogs Girls session. So we were out the door at 5.30am in the dark for the ride down.

This was Sara’s first ride in cleats so that was also something for her to come to grips with, but she took to them without any problems at all. She’s always good with picking things like that up and she doesn’t have much fear either. Good for her!

I was a touch concerned with Sara’s pace after last weekend so I wanted to allow plenty of time to make it there, however at the top of Brunswick St; Sara got a flat front tire. I jumped into mechanic action and was whipping through it all in no time at all.

However when it came time to reinflate the tyre, I discovered that the CO2 canister was empty (even though I DID put in a fresh one). Ok, no stress, so I put in the spare one I carry. But wouldn’t you know it as I screwed the new canister in place; it let all the air out of it before I could use it. SHIT!

Now I had to pump up the tyre by hand- which seeing as this pump only has that as a backup option; it was a very slow process and very hard work. By the time I had the bike back on the road we were really running late so I sent Lisa off ahead to let the others know we were on our way.

Sara and I kept pushing ahead as best as she could go, but we copped every single red light! Sheesh!

Finally we made the meeting point late and I immediately borrowed Marti’s pump and got Sara’s tyre up to pressure and we set off to Hampton. Once again I suggested to PDL to ride off ahead to Hampton to make it in time and I asked Dave if he wouldn’t mind pacing Lisa (he seemed to relish the challenge).

We all rode along at Sara’s pace and I did my best to encouraging her along. Up an incline in Brighton, I gave Sara a push along up the hill with one hand, accelerating as I did this. Sara played a joke on me and stopped pedaling and let me do all the work. Everyone who was behind us had a good laugh! Yeah… ha ha! 

Eventually we made it to Hampton 15 mins late and there was nobody at the meeting point. I called PDL and found out they were 100mts away in a car park so we dropped off Sara with the group and the rest of us went on our merry way towards Mordi.

The group rode along in the high 20’s until Andy (53-11) took off a bit faster and I tried to keep his pace but I wasn’t feeling it that morning and I dropped back pretty quickly.

With everyone racing off ahead, Marti and I were dropped by Black Rock so we worked together towards Mordi. After one hill, Marti commented to me that I was a strong rider. I didn’t know what to say to that complement and said “um.. I guess?” LOL

Finally into Mordi, I was happy for the break as up until now my legs just weren’t feeling as strong as they normally are. So a drink and a bite to eat were well in order.

Several of the group headed back to St Kilda so it was just a few of us left- Ian (Parawolf), Dave (Percrime), Marti (Marti), Richard (rdk) and myself.

We set off south again in high 20’s, low 30’s and I was feeling a ton better. Along the way Marti turned back for home and it was just the 4 of us guys riding.

At the train crossing intersection, there was riders coming and going in all directions, as well as cars also going in each direction. There was a comic moment of mass confusion with no one quite knowing what to do. I got dropped at the lights and with one of the confused cars now next to me I apologised for the confusion, but they saw the humor of the moment and had a laugh with me.

I caught back up to the guys and we cruised along in the low 30’s, joining up with a bunch of triathletes with one guy in a futuristic looking Y framed, plain silver bike. I pulled up next to him and asked with a smile if it came with booster rockets which thankfully he took it with humor in which it was intended.

All along I was NOT intending to do Hopes Rise but as I came into Frankston I changed my mind and said I would give it a go (as the legs were feeling much better now).

I made it up better then my last effort and got to the top with a gear to spare and not trashed. Dave looked surprised to see me up as fast as I was and I gave him the “bike lifted over the head celebration” routine that he ribbed me about last week, except I threw the bike so high I ended up almost letting go on it in the air, LOL.

Back down Olivers Hill I didn’t push it this time with an easy 63kph top speed, then stopped at the Frankston visitors centre for a drink refill and dunny stop where there was the Peninsular Toy Run (motorcyclists carrying toys for disadvantaged kids). As I came in someone was taking a photo of the assembled motorcycles so I rolled past the frame and waved at the camera. Would make a funny photo and I just hope they see the humor in it (tho with digital cameras, they will probably delete it straight away).

Back on the road after a very quick stop and we set a whip cracking pace with Ian and Dave leading the way with Richard and me bringing up the rear. We were passing everyone riding along at around 38kph. At one stage Ian looked back and asked if I was ok back there (which I was, for the moment anyway).

Then we caught up to a bunch of triathletes and they picked up the pace to around 40kph making it a pretty impressive paced peleton (I think we had a few others tag onto the back of us as well).

With only 2kms to go till Mordi, I wasn’t able to match the acceleration from a set of lights one last time and I didn’t have the legs to get back on, so I backed it off to the mid 30’s and me and a woman who was behind us rode in together.

At Mordi, Richard and I were feeling the fast pace a bit and we were both intending on taking it easy but somehow yet again, we were racing along in the mid 30’s (with Dave and Ian disappearing into the distance).

As this day was the Sub Women’s ride, the road was full of newbie women and some were very wobbly on the road, so we gave them a wide berth for safety.

On the last hill into Black Rock, a fly flew straight into my throat, hitting my tonsils in the process. This was the equivalent of putting my fingers down my throat and I was gagging as it buzzed down the back of my throat. I dropped right off the pace and tried to cough the fly back up, taking mouth fulls of water and spitting them back out but I think the bug went down instead of up. Yuck!

Back on the pace again and I was working hard to catch back up to Richard after my fly moment. On the hill out of Black Rock, I was abused by the passenger in a boat towing 4wd who leant out the window and yelled “get out of the way ya arsewipe” to which I raised my middle finger and returned a “Fuck you too”.

Now back with Richard, the two of us were cruising along at around 35kph when Richard suggests we back it off a bit. I think I was to blame here; I always end up pushing myself hard despite my earlier intentions.

We kept riding along and for some reason we never really did drop our speed. We passed so many riders it was incredible as for so long it was ME being passed.

At North Road, Richard had to turn off so I was left to ride the rest solo. I glanced down at my average and it was 26.7 kph which was fantastic considering I had the very slow start with Sara. Man we were pushing it and I was beginning to regret it now keeping in mind the following days ride I had planned. Gulp!

Finally I made it back to Fitzroy St and Dave looked stunned to see me there already. Apparently, he and Ian were flying all the way back, so to see me just a few mins after him surprised him somewhat. While I was happy to take the complement, I’m guessing that I just had a better run of the traffic lights to account for my great time *shrug*

I found a seat and slumped down, feeling really trashed from the days riding. I wanted lots of cold drinks and food and FAST, but the service this day was rotten and even a bit snooty!

Breakfast over and we rode home via the city. While stopped at a red light on St Kilda road, a fellow rider went straight through the red light, and then he stopped to pickup something he dropped. As we came up to pass him, we saw him finish eating an energy bar and just fling the rubbish on the ground! Nice…

The rest of the ride was uneventful except for a rather massive incident with a 4WD which I will make a separate post about.



2nd December 2007 - Brimbank Park > up Calder Highway before turning around > Riding around Port Melbourne
Distance: 40kms
Description: All uphill
Weather: Strong headwind

I was very tired from the previous day’s ride, with legs feeling weary and weak so I went into this ride a bit apprehensive. There were very strong winds and it was quite warm; a bad day to be on the roads.

After a bit of confusion on the start point, we eventually found the others and 6 of us headed out, however within 3km we lost one guy with knee problems.

Onwards we rode into the cross/headwind and never ending uphill which sucked (for me). Out onto Calder Hwy and it was a non-stop incline into a strong head/side wind. I was giving it my all but was reduced to 15kph as the rest disappeared WAY into the distance.

My saddle was causing me a lot of pain. The centre of it had gone soft and was sinking in the middle. Eventually the combination of wind, tired legs and buggered seat saw me throw in the towel. I felt really crap for giving in.

Johan, PDL and I turned back for the car (downhill, tailwind- whew!), leaving just Beatmasterbee and Marc to go on to battle the conditions.

Despondent, I drove back and decided to get a new seat at Freedom machine (we were a bit early so waited in crap café next door). I think the café next door to Freedom Machine would have to take the award for the worst eggs I have ever had. Microwaved- yuk!

In Freedom Wheels I brought a new Specialized seat and it immediately felt better. I could feel more power in my stroke and a ton more comfort overall. I should have done this age’s ago.

We decided to go down to Port Melbourne to watch the crit (had no idea where it was plus I think we were a bit late). After driving about for a while, we eventually just stopped in the industrial area and rode our own crit course just PDL and I.

After a few laps, the heat, wind and flies got the better of us so we went home.



8th December 2007 - Northcote > St Kilda > Frankston return
Distance: 106km
Description: Flat with some hills

Today PDL was supposed to do Cogs Girls but she had been moaning all week that she wanted to get in a good ride and didn’t feel like doing Cogs Girls. I kept telling her it was her call.

We met up with the others at St Kilda and rode down to Hampton. Kathy and PDL turned off at Hampton while the rest of us rode onwards south. Suddenly as I was chatting to Commi, PDL whizzes past us. HUH?

It seems the lure of a long ride was too much for PDL and she changed her mind when she arrived at the meet point with Kathy and chased after us. LOL

Into Black Rock I was determined NOT to go too early for the sprint. I sat on Dave’s wheel as he increased his speed heading towards Black Rock and he knew I was there the whole way. He could have tried to lose me harder but he was kind enough not to do so. As he got faster and faster, I decided that this was the moment, clicked up another gear, pulled out from him and gave it my all to power past him and finally take out a sprint. Woohoo! I was so knackered after that sprint but it was fun all the same.

Arount Mentone, a bunch of riders passed us pretty fast with some of then cutting past us a bit close and silly. Then as we rounded a corner, we saw the aftermath of one of these riders crashed on the ground. He was getting up and had mates with him so we kept on going. Then as we came into Mentone, a HUGE pack blew past us very fast, must have taken them a good 45 seconds for all pass me. WOW!

Down to Frankston as we cruised along, PDL was trying to tap her bar plug back in with her hand, but she lost control for a second and had to lean on me to regain her balance. Nice work.

On the lead up to Hopes Rise, I urged PDL to chase down Dave up the hill and after closing the 75 meter gap she wasn’t quite able to beat Dave up the hill. She getting better and better tho.

Back at Modi on our return, we saw the Cogs Girls and stopped to say hi. While at Mordi, the Drapac Porsche team went past at a great rate of knots as a BIG group, followed by the team car all done up in team livery. Very impressive!

We stopped at LeKnicks and I brought a Caisse D’Epargne jersey. It looks heaps better than the plain red one and I was pretty happy to be free of the plain red. At last I can fit into a decent looking jersey and I wore it for the rest of the ride.

I was caught behind the group trying to cross the road, and had to work flat out to catch up with the group, which I finally did when they were caught at lights and I zoomed past (they didn’t recognise me due to the new jersey).

We all stopped at Hampton to catch up with Kathy and others for breakfast where I dobbed Lisa in to Warren from Cogs Girls re the coffee crits and Warren agreed that PDL was ready.

As the group left breakfast, for some reason everyone followed my suggestion about which way to go, where I made a total mess of the directions. Doh!

We stopped in at Startline and had a look around and chat to Liz and Caren. Liz was amazed at my weight drop.

Riding back into St Kilda, I heard a spoke break, so once again we all stopped while I pulled it out. Dang it!

Stopped at BSC on the way home to book my bike in for a service and replacement of the spoke.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Lace Ninja said...

You should push me along more often! HA HA!