Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ride updates- 22nd Dec 2007 - Sacred Heart Mission Community Cycle

On the 22nd of December, we undertook the Sacred Heart Mission Community Cycle ride to donate food to the mission to feed the homeless. Unfortunately the weather wasn't so kind to us but it was a memorable ride all the same.

22nd December 2007 - Northcote > St Kilda > Frankston > St Kilda > Northcote
Distance: 106km
Description: Flat
Weather: Rain- LOTS of rain and plenty of wind!

Today was the Sacred Heart Mission Community Cycle ride day hat I was a bit nervous about- would many turn up? Would it work as intended?

I started the ride a bit overdressed and I had to roll down the arm warmers to cool down before we even got to St Kilda.

In St Kilda, PDL and I met up with Commi and Mikeyp and we rode south at a swift pace till Mordi. PDL and I were felling pretty sluggish after the MRR ride during the week. Those hills took a bit of a toll on us.

I slowed the pace down after Mordi as we were ahead of schedule and had a stop to put on our wet weather gear when it started to pour. Damn rain, I’ve had enough of rain riding to last me a while!

We arrived at Frankston early and mum (in the support vehicle) was already there so we started preparing with dress ups and tinsel on bikes.




In the end we had 14 riders turn up- all keen to brave the conditions and with backpacks filled with food.

We started ride with thunder overhead and black clouds. The rain started pelting down on us and the wind blew us from side to side. I lifted my fist to the sky, shook it and shouted “Is that all you’ve got!” LOL

As we passed the shops, I threw chocolate coins and candy canes to kids as we rode past. I think I need to work on my aim as they bounced all over the place! LOL

We had heaps of drivers tooting at us and waving. We made plenty of people smile and it was a great vibe despite the prevailing conditions.

After Mordi the wind picked up even more as we were riding next to the beach. Kathy was really scared of the winds so she jumped into mum’s car (sage wagon- thanks mum) and we rode on.

Somewhere around Mentone we picked up Marcel and he had blinking lights on his bike. They looked really cool!

After Black Rock we made a change to the route to get us out of the wind and headed inland, guided by Rudolph (Mikeyp). We zigzagging our way towards St Kilda via shopping strips so I could throw out the lollies to kids (some kids looked really excited).

As we were getting into St Kilda outskirts, Mikeyp had a slow flat so we quickly pumped it up and kept going.

Finally, after the rain and wind, we made it to SHM right on 11am (perfect timing) and after some confusion, we met with Sally from SHM who showed us around and made us all feel valued in what we did. It was a nice feeling to give rather then receive.

After dropping off the food, we had breakfast in St Kilda and then I had to ride home solo (PDL rode back in mum’s car as she was too cold to cop another soaking in the rain).

Being just me riding, I decided to ride the whole way down Punt Rd. It was bit scary under Richmond Station having to ride in the middle lane but no stress other than one green Ford Territory who wouldn’t give me any space when passing me twice (what is it with some Territory drivers?).

Made it home before PDL, soaked through again and shivering. Glad to be home.

Later in the day I had to go to mums to pick something up and on the way out, slipped on her steps and bruised my tail bone and shook myself up pretty bad. Crap way to end the day.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems that one cheap version of the Territory does not have 4WD. So what you have is a wanna be pseudo 4wd owner who knows that even by those standards he is inadequate :)

Thats the story with Territories I think