Monday, April 28, 2008

St Kilda to Portsea (and back) - 212km in a day!

After doing many rides to Mt Eliza and back (116kms) and a Frankston to Sorrento and back ride (100kms), several of us on the BV forum were keen to link it all together for a St Kilda to Portsea ride in a day (200kms).

So one early Saturday morning, a group of us meet in St Kilda and set off south for our day’s adventure on the road.

Here are a few of my highlights in no particular order...

1. Riding back home on the approach to Princess Bridge, Lisa and I saw 2 guys in a punch-up on the footpath ahead, spilling onto the road in front of a car. Then a few guys broke them up and they both went on their ways (different directions).

2. Watching a woman on a MTB ride straight through a set of ped lights (red, dodging peds in the process). I yelled out- RED MEANS STOP... then as it was up hill, I easily caught her where I very politely started to chat to her about what she did, only to have her start saying sorry for doing it. All's good.

3. Riding along the rolling hills before Safety Beach and seeing the approaching rain clouds, then thinking about my complete lack of clothing for rain, I hammered it to get to Safety Beach before the rain hit. It was fun hammering the bike up and down the hills and noticing just how much stronger I was since the last time through here (Nov 07).

4. After leaving Safety Beach, I lead the way all the way to Sorrento into the headwind. I kept the speed at 28-31kph the whole way but as soon as we hit the first hill towards Sorrento I decided to "see what I could do" and put the hammer down. I had Percrime and PDL join me at the front and after breaking away from them at one stage, I dropped back to Percrime and taunted him to race me, but he wasn't taking the bait. Then, thinking I had PDL (and her hill climbing strength) on my tail on the last climb up to Sorrento I gave it all I had to beat her, only to turn around and see she wasn't racing me after all. DOH! It was good fun and plenty of laughs!

5. On the way back we ended up riding with a guy who started riding in 1949!! He lived in Rye and was just out for a pootle along the coast and then up Arthurs Seat!! I was so engrossed in chatting to him I didn't realized that Louisa had her road side incident until I was 1.5kms down the road and had to back track.

6. Yikes that big hill up to Mornington is a tough one. I can see why a lot of ATB riders end up walking it. I ended up plodding up at 12kph and was mighty glad to see the top.

7. On the way back around Sandringham, Commi saw the Spirit of Tas and wondered if we could beat it back to Port Melb. As we arrived at the finish point of the ride in St Kilda, we saw the Spirit just about to enter the dock. Lets call it a draw!

8. Leaving Frankston on the way back, Percrime took off at 40kph so Simon, PDL and I stuck to his wheel. Fun to fly along fast for a while but I then realized that Commi was going to be solo after Carrum so I pulled out of the speedy group to wait for him.

9. While riding down and seeing the turn off for Authurs Seat, I was itching to give it a go. What has happened to me that climbing Authurs Seat seems like a good idea?? Must be PDL's hill climbing prowess rubbing off on me...

10. It was very odd towards the end of the ride. My legs felt great, the lungs felt fine, I had a bit of soreness in the shoulders/neck but overall I could have kept going for another 50-100kms (with some food perhaps). Very odd sensation. Got home feeling fine tho it was the first time I had started and finished a ride in the dark!

Share/Bookmark

No comments: