Saturday, September 6, 2008

12 Months on the bike - a review


Rather than a race or ride report for this post, I’m going to talk more about my life in relation to cycling and how it has changed so dramatically in the last 12 months.

Back in late July 2007, while watching Le Tour De France, PDL and I were inspired to get cycling ourselves with the thought of doing some cycle touring as part of a holiday, and maybe improve my health and fitness.

But I very quickly discovered just how unfit I really was and was determined to loose weight to become a better cyclist. Before we brought our bikes, I had in my mind the memory of my younger days as a kid on a BMX, and to discover that I was now so crap on the bike was a blow to my ego. So I just couldn’t let myself be beaten by my lack of fitness and obesity (there- I’ve said it, I was obese!), my ego wouldn’t allow it to happen. So this was an important moment for me because until then, every time I tried to drop weight, I was doing what ever activity or diet to loose weight, rather than loose weight to be better at the activity. It’s a small but important change in how I approached my task but it made all the difference to my mental state and determination.

And so I started thinking about foods differently. Suddenly everything I eat was about “what will this do to me” rather than “what will this taste like”. I was thinking of foods as fuel rather than indulgences and taste satisfiers.

I started playing a game with PDL in the supermarket where I would see a product (eg- chocolate) and I would talk as if that section was just empty shelves. “Gee, I wonder why this whole isle is empty” I would say. Silly I know but it helped me deal with the temptation that used to break me down, time and time again in the past.

Then I happened upon the BV forum and this was a huge, MASSIVE change to my cycling that I can not thank the people of enough. It started with me just reading, lurking and asking the occasional question. Then there was talk of a group ride that sounded like fun – the BBC ride. I asked if a overweight, flat bar riding newbie like me would be ok on the ride and was encouraged to give it a go.

This lead to my discovering the joys of group rides and the added and unexpected benefits of cycling of the social aspect that comes with the rides. I was totally hooked and this was a pivotal moment for both PDL and myself. I can not thank the forum’s members enough for this. It truly changed my life in more ways than I can count.

Which brings me to where I am today; I now ride 250 – 450kms a week without stress, I ride 2-4 mid week morning training rides and usually lead the groups now rather than straggle along at the distant rear of the bunch. I am decent climber now, can sprint pretty well, corner like a demon and decent without fear. I have learnt to track stand with ease and can leap my bike up gutters with aplomb.

I feel like the bike is an extension of myself and heavy traffic is stress free and simple to navigate. I consider myself a cycle racer now which even 9 months ago would have seemed totally ludicrous to even consider.

I have lost 1/3 of my body weight (about 50kgs), dropped my body fat % from the mid 30’s to about 18% and packed on TONS of muscle. My clothes have gone from only being able to shop at the big man’s store to being able to not only being able shop from normal shops but not even the biggest sizes.

I have met and made great friends with so very many people from the BV forum and I always look forward to catching up with them several times a week on our regular training rides. They make me laugh with their posts and I value their friendship more than they would understand, for it is their encouragement and positive words that have made me what I am today. A better person.

My confidence has improved and I am happier in life in general and I look forward to every day’s ride. I love my cycling and life is great.

I can’t wait to see where I am in another 12 months.

Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy for you!!! Now turn that into an article for the next Ride On issue (or any other Aust bike mag)

Commi

Anonymous said...

Awesome year of riding Viddy. There's been many people following your story, and it goes to show what you can achieve. I am so impressed with your determination and hard work; this didn't 'just happen' for you. Congrats to you and PDL for adopting the healthy lifestyle. :)
Bowi

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome mate, congrats on the hard work and its pay-off, besides being slimmer, you've gotten remarkably faster, even Lisa is looking Trim, Taught and terrific

ReG_C

Paul Petch said...

Good effort mate. All the best to you both!

Remember that there is a dark side to riding... mountain biking.... and it will always be waiting for you...


muuahahahahahaaa

Unknown said...

Awesome!

Paul Petch said...

No updates.... no weight loss posted?

Hope your still riding! :)

notadoper said...

I know this is a late post but you are a big inspiration for me.
Congrats on an amazing year!
See you in the mountains :D

Mattyb

Vidman said...

Aww shucks Matt, thanks! You always inspire me to push harder when we ride together!

Your improvement is nothing short of astounding too. I think you would be in the running for a podium in a C-grade road race (spesh if it's a hilly course).

Dave said...

What a transformation! Well done Dave, very impressed with the committment you've shown to cycling (and changing your life)

Anonymous said...

Well bowi said i should have a look here as i was talking to him today, and im glad i did. Ive been riding just over a year and this has given me a new way of looking at a few things, weight loss and improving on riding. While it takes hard work for both, they can be done over time.
Well done though on the improvements and I hope you dont mind others like me reading this.

yogibearrrr