Sunday, March 22, 2009

Vidman V's Glenvale Rd

Just something I should have posted ages ago, this is a short video of an insane hill climb in Ringwood, Melbourne.



Head out along Marongah Hwy towards Ringwood, turing off at Deek Creek Road. Turn down a few side streets and you will find yourself on Glenvale Rd. Approching from the south and riding noth, you find yourself atthe top of the BIG hill and its mighty intimidating. Lets just say, I would NOT go down it in the wet.

Anyway, this is a video of my second attempt to climb this hill eariler in 2008. To put this hill into persepctiove, one of my mates with a Garmin 305 said his data pointed to the hill running at about 25% graidient. Its not long, but its scary steep. REAL SCARY!

A group of us did this hill as part of a crazy hill loop late in 2008, however it was a wet, rainy day that day and climbing this hill was slightly on the insane side. the whole way up I was fighting wheel spin, having to be careful with my pedal strokes. It was so bad that only 2 of us rode up with the rest of the group sensible enough to walk up.

Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the "c'mon mate!" from the guy in the ATB jersey.

Well done.

Vidman said...

Yeah, the guy in the ATB jersey had already gone up the hill in 39-21 gearing! My knees hurt just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

What was your gearing?
Top effort!

Anonymous said...

PS: Sorry last comment author was Ian W, guy with P/tail who sometimes does tour of burbs.

Anonymous said...

Re: comment at the top of the rise which John R made reference to.

Listen closely I make it "c'mon you whimp" but said in a nice way.
Ian W

Vidman said...

I climbed the hill with 39-27 from memory. We did it a few months later and the road was wet. Wheel spin the whole way up. I wouldn't recommend it!

tjsr said...

I know this was posted months ago, but I've only just discovered it. So I'll just say this:

Challenge accepted.