Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blown away!


After last weeks solid result, I figured it was time to man up and move up a grade. I hadn't counted on racing this week, but circumstances had changed so a later entry was made to the Newham Scratch race (C Grade - 90km) and I was set.

One problem. As I hadn't planned on racing I did two hard effort training rides during the week back to back (Wednesday SKCC ride with just 3 in the working group) and then ATOS on Thursday night. Add to that, Saturday's weather didn't look too flash in the lead up.

So how did I go?

Well, in a word- dropped!

The weather was really shit. 70+kph winds and later- driving rain. I started off ok but never felt strong on the bike. I mean I was keeping up fine and was in the front third up each of the climbs, but I just never felt any zip in my legs. Foolishly I allowed myself get suckered into pulling turns on the front into the wind and just after one of these turns I decided to drop back in the bunch to sit in. Just as I was moving sideways to get into the shelter, someone attacked on the front and the whole bunch accelerated. I was caught out and lost the wheel ahead of me and was promptly dropped. The guy behind me was also caught out too.

So I set forth to hopefully chase them down. I caught and passed one guy who dropped off the back and the other guy who was also dropped I left behind. But I just-couldn't-quite-catch-the-bunch no matter how hard I tried (I was zone 4.5/5 HR for a good 15-20km). I made up some ground and just when I thought I might make it, they pulled away again. I'd have to say, I think there was a few riders that were really B graders racing in C. And I'm pretty sure a few guys were playing team tactics too. Whatever...

So there you go. 17km into a 90km race and I'm dropped and solo with the wind. FUCK! I was pretty pissed off with myself for allowing myself into this position. I continued on into the second lap but by now the bunch was loooong gone, so I just settled into a groove and pushed along. Then it started raining, then pelting. Combined with the now even stronger wind (24kph in the small ring on a downhill anyone?) it was particularly shitty.

Along Three Chains Rd I passed a rider fixing a flat and asked if he was ok. A few mins later, the same guy pulled up next to me. He was a B grader and he was just looking to get back to his car so we both rode together for a while, chatting a bit and both frozen through.

Somewhere along the road, S came powering past, just off the front of D grade with just a small bunch in tow. I looked back for Lisa but all I saw was clear road. Wow.. D was smashed!

So I limped back to the start finish and pulled out. I didn't see the point in plodding along for another 30km in these winds and rain, shivering and shaking from the cold. As I crossed the line I popped a mono for the marshals and got a good cheer for my efforts. A little ray of sunshine in an otherwise forgettable day. LOL

Lessons learned
1. Don't go up a grade unless you are prepared for the race properly. See lesson 2.
2. Don't smash your legs during the week and expect to be able to keep up with a fast race.
3. Don't get suckered into pulling turns when you have just gone up a grade.


Time to go back and do some structured training again. After the 3DT I allowed myself to just ride a bit haphazard and its bitten me as a result. I also think last weekends handicap took a LOT out of me and I'm prob still paying the price.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

robert merkel said...

Great to know how you went...you're a good measuring stick - I'm looking to make the move to C grade as well.

Sounds like I'll choose a nicer day :)