Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fitter, stronger and faster (but still dropped)

Another weekend and another Saturday morning ride. After completing our first morning group ride only less than a month ago, we are total converts and we look forward to each weekend ride with anticipation.

The day started with a 5am rise and it was totally pitch black outside. Urgh! After last weeks horrid bonk that Polka Dot Lisa and I suffered, we were taking no chances. We had a bigger breakfast, more and better food to carry with us, Staminade drink in one of our bottles and a baggy of extra powder to refuel ourselves for the return trip.

Unfortunately, because I can’t find a jersey made to fit me (and believe me, I have searched the world for a jersey big enough), I have no pockets to carry anything and so PDL had to have her jersey pockets filled up with both our snacks. She makes a great domestique! LOL

PDL was pretty nervous about her new cleats and pedals after only getting them the day before. We did a little trial ride the day before around a local park where we did some work on her technique for corners, but the 2 falls (1 on grass, 1 on concrete) shook her up a little.

As we left our apartment, PDL saw $5 on the ground - score! Then just as I was rolling down to the old cannon as the meeting place for the Northern Stopping All Stations ride, Gregga from BV turned up in his car to say he was running late and that he would meet us at the Beaconsfield hotel.

We rode on down Hoddle St and oh my gawd it was cold! There were a few other cyclists riding but they dropped us when we caught a set of lights. As we descended from Bridge Rd, for the life of me I couldn’t get my left shoe to clip in and I wondered if my cleat had fallen off. I stopped, and of course the cleat WAS there and it clipped straight in. I had adjusted the cleat the night before and just a few mm difference and I was all at sea! LOL

As before, we rode up Anderson St and just like the other times, it hurt like crap. Every ride we do I feel like shit for a good hour or so before I feel in the swing and then I feel like I can keep going and going. Strange.

At the Beaconsfield Hotel meeting point there were only 2 other riders already there but soon the corner became a mass of about 24 bikes and riders, all a bit tense and nervous before the start. Maybe it’s the cold or maybe everyone is a touch apprehensive about the ride ahead but the chatter is short between everyone. I don't mind because I am cold and apprehensive about the ride too. :)

The call went out to get going and yikes- the pace was ON. Until now the pace has been gentle to start with for the first 10km slowly building up to around the 28-30kph but this time it was straight into the 32-34kph speed and I was pushing hard to keep up but doing ok-ish. Then a few sets of lights around Brighton and the group were split pretty badly. Matt (Commi) was riding with me but after a set of lights, he took off to chase down the group and that was the last I saw of him, and the group.

PDL and I rode on alone wondering where the crap everyone was. Even on the long straight sections we couldn’t see them and it was a pretty lonely ride south. As we rounded Ricketts Point and hit the rolling hills around this section, we were both feeling shite and I doubted once again my ability to do the full ride. The fast pace at the start took it out of me and I was paying the price now. I think riding as a group makes SUCH a difference and I was cursing the group for not waiting for the traffic light slowed riders, and also cursing myself for not being able to keep up a faster pace.

As we rode the last flat section into Mordi, Ben from InFront, his GF Melissa and his Belgium mate rolled up next to us and we turned into Mordi together. Thankfully, we met up with the rest of the group and one of the women in the group in a Predictor Lotto jersey (sorry- can’t remember your name) told us that she told off the group for riding so fast, but just as we were trying to shovel down some energy snacks and drink, the group all took off leaving us totally unprepared and alone again. Sheesh, you guys may have been here for 10 mins, drinking, peeing, eating and resting but we JUST rolled in! PDL also though there was 2 women behind her but we never saw them again and don't know what happened to them.

I hope these fast paced rides don't put off any slower riders as it would have done to me if this was my first ride. Maybe a quick chat with the group before we head off will allow those slower riders to stick together so the fast dudes and dudettes can then do their thing at their faster pace.

Thankfully, Ben and co were still with us so we rolled down Station St at a very modest pace of about 22kph. As we crossed back over the train lines to Nepean Hwy, Ben suggested we stop at Carrum for a coffee and although I was hoping to keep going in an attempt to catch up with the Franger return group, I figured what the heck- we have been totally dropped so we my as well stop for a chat.

We assembled on the footpath and drank and chatted and it was nice to feel the sun on our faces. We watched the groups of riders whizzing past and wondered what value all the bikes would be worth. You would have to think on a weekend morning, at least a millions dollars worth of carbon fibre would roll past. Wow!

Ben’s mate from Belgium (sorry- I have forgotten you name) was telling us how the whole cycle and coffee thing is a real Australian thing and that in Belgium it is usual to ride and then have a few beers. Now, maybe it’s just me but the idea of a beer after riding early in the morning doesn’t exactly thrill me. Maybe on a hot day I could understand it but on a cold morning, never! EVER!

As we rode on, a few k’s out of Frankston I noticed a small group of BV’ers riding back towards Melb so I waved thinking- “there goes any chance of any company on the way back”. But to my surprise a few mins later, Dave (Percrime) rolled up next to me having turned around to keep us company. I was SO grateful for the company I could have kissed him! LOL

A stop at the Franga visitors centre for a pee and drink refill saw Ben and co leave us behind as they rode off to Mt Martha while Dave, PDL and I headed back north. As we rode through Frankston, PDL was hurled unknown abuse at by a 10yo from his front yard. Charming child, his parents must be so proud!

We had a really good pace going back, sitting on 30-33kph and passing quite a few riders along the way. As we came up to one rider, he tagged onto the back of us and rode on our wheels for a good 15km without even a word to us. The really funny part about this guy was he was wearing a fancy aero TT helmet with the integrated visor, yet he had on big baggy flapping shorts. THAT must make for interesting wind tunnel data!

A stop at Mordi and we caught up with Oz and Eddie. The usual chat and refuel was had with plenty of looking over my trusty stead (Oz has a Dew Deluxe as a commuter so he was comparing the difference to his bike). During this chat Oz showed me how to align the hydraulic brakes properly. Strange that BSC never bothered to do this from new, nor during the bikes first service. I give up on that workshop. I’ll do it properly myself!

A refill of our drink bottles with the Staminade powder (carrying around a bag of powder- very suss!) and a nut bar and we were back on the road, headed straight for the dreaded hills around Mentone. As usual I was dropped on the hills but THIS time I wasn’t totally killing myself to make it up the hills. I spun the pedals well up the hills and I think my slowest speed was about 19kph which was a big difference to other attempts. As I spun the pedals, a song came to mind which I kept singing to myself – “Spin The Black Circle” by Pearl Jam (see below).

It was the perfect song to accompany me up the hills and before I knew it I was at Black Rock for a quick drink and regroup.

As we went up the hill out of Black Rock, I was surprised how easily I did it this time. I wasn’t fast, by no means at all, but I also never wanted to get off the bike, nor did I curse and swear my way up the hill. Not great - but MUCH better.

Once up on the flat, we rode as a group of 5 at around 30kph. Dave mentioned that we should drop in to see a friend of his who runs a cycle clothing store in Brighton to see about a jersey to fit me which I was grateful for.

Unfortunately PDL didn’t see Dave stopped at the shop and rode on while I stopped and waited. Dave took off to catch her but she had already stopped as Oz let her know she had passed the place so Dave didn’t have to sprint too far.

In the shop we met Liz who had a look around the shop for something to fit me, however I knew very well it was a lost cause- nobody makes anything even close to my size. Been there done that. Liz gave me an XL and asked me to “try it” but exactly as I knew- it wouldn’t even go over my shoulders. In the end Liz suggested a custom made jersey which I knew was the only option so we measured me up for size and Liz will get back to me during the week for price and style options available.

After this break and back on the road, my right upper thigh was really sore. The muscle was hurting every pedal stroke and it was getting worse and worse with each stroke but I kept on going hoping it would warm up and be OK (it didn’t - it just got worse and worse).

As we rode up Fitzroy St headed for the return meet point, 2 of the BV riders pulled up behind us just as we were about to cross the road. Surprised, I looked across the road and there was everyone else. I had figured with our being dropped so badly and our extra stops they would have been long gone but apparently they just got to the café before us, having passed us while we were in the clothing shop. Good timing.

We jumped into the last 2 seats which much have made for quite a sight - 18ish cyclists clad in Lycra seated along a long table on a sunny Saturday St Kilda morning. I have to admit, I love the feeling of being part of a group of cyclists after a ride. We are all in a great mood, all with our own tales to tell of our experience on the ride, all laughing and chatting with people we have just met or only known for a short while. And you just know that people walking past are looking at us with a sense of envy and slight intimidation in them. LOL

While we eat, a dodgy looking guy came walking up and asked us if it was OK if he looked at our bikes. We all said “umm, yeah ok” (what were we going to say - "avert your eyes mere mortal"?) and we kept an eye on him without making a big deal about it. I felt bad for being a bit suspicious of the guy as all he did was have a good look at the assembled bikes. You could see he was really digging them and I wished I had been a nice guy and gotten up to have a chat to him. You never know - he might have been inspired to get into cycling himself with a little encouragement *shrug*. Note to self - don’t be so quick to pass judgment!

With food and drinks consumed by all, we all got up to go our separate paths when Richard (who was nursing a cold pack on his shoulder) turned away from me which caused me to see his back shoulder blade which didn’t look right at all. I mentioned to Matt that he didn’t look right and after mentioning it to Richard and a closer inspection, it was obvious that something was dislocated badly. After a few of us talked to him out of genuine concern, he agreed to walk home and go to the hospital (he would have none of us walking him home - HAF!).

I must comment here that PDL had ridden really well all day with her first proper ride in cleats. She didn’t have one mishap all day with the cleats, her bike handling was miles better after Friday's training session, she changed lanes and did right hand turns without fear, and she also tackled all the hills without a problem. Stu (Stubacca) was sure to make special mention of her efforts over breakfast as I tend to get all the attention (due to this blog and also my participation on the BV forum). For a woman who just a few weeks ago was scared to even look behind her she has come in leaps and bounds with her skill and confidence. I am super, duper proud of her!

After breaky we rode home around Albert Park and through the city with no incidents or drama at all after last weeks drama filled 8km. Down Brunswick Street I was SUPER careful of car doors, riding really, really slowly. A quick stop at BSC for a Topeak Tri-Bag to hold my snacks and Ben looked after me really well. If you want great sales service at BSC - see Ben. Top bloke!

Ride Stats 22-09-07 - Northcote > Frankston > Northcote
Dist: 105.53km
Time: 04:28:26
Max: 47.7kph
Average: 23.6kph

The following morning (Sunday) and it's weigh in time again. Woohoo- another 1.1kg lost and I’m down to 138.8kg which means I have lost 3.8kg in 3 weeks. It’s not a massive amount but it’s a sensible, measured amount that is healthy.

My right upper thigh is still sore and I am struggling to lift my leg properly. If its still hurting on Monday I will go see my osteo. I struggled to put my undies, socks and pants on today.

I have to admit I am looking forward to an easy ride next week. We have been pushing hard for 6 weeks now so a bit of a back off is in order I think.

Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didnt think the pace was all that hot on the way down. I stayed out of the little sprints this time tho it was amusing to watch 53-11 and Para and a couple of others working thier way up the bunch...

And I was concious of how poorly I was riding.. (Thanks lisanne for having a go... yeah couldnt ride a straight line to save myself) And the week before I was riding really well

But you were riding well Dave. No problems with your riding except the sheer bulk you have to push so its going to fairly steadily improve. Lisa looked a natural and I would say she is actually the one of you who is closest to needing a roady at this point.

You are going fine. I made the av from mordi to brighton 28.4 hills and all. Thats just fine. If I had 50 kg more on my back its a fair bet I wouldnt have been into the teens.

Just remember, its all training. Doing long distance, doing intervals, practicing track stands or bunny hops. Mix it up, it keeps it fun.

Next week I will be riding both days on the weekend and maybe a decent ride during the week.
If you want to go for a pootle give me a yell

Percrime

Lisa said...

You really should check out MBC (Melbourne Bicycle Centre) in Clifton Hill as an LBS - they are far better IMO than BSC! I have had sales people at BSC be VERY judgemental about the kind of riding I am into and them assuming things about me w/out even asking. I wont even bother going there anymore. You keep saying that they can't service a bike but you keep going back!

Seriously, try either MBC or Fitztroy cycles!

As for the ride - Fantastic effort for the both of you, it really is sensational!

Vidman said...

Hey Lisa,
I only took the bike back after the broken spoke (last weekend) because I assumed it was just the one odd occurrence, and it was ONLY once there the shit went down (it was either a warranty issue or bike setup issue that caused the chain to come off and gouge the spokes).

I only go back now to buy accessories as Ben (in sales) is really good to me and he really REALLY looks after me (eg- my Tri-Bag was 33% off the sticker price and I didn't even ask for a discount). Ben always has time to chat and he treats me with total respect and genuine interest.

I know what you mean but being judged, in fact when I was looking at bikes I did check out MBC and the guy who served me tried to steer me repeatedly into a hybrid (with front suspension, even though I repeatedly said i didn't want suspension). I asked for a test ride on some bikes and was show to a small yard out the back to wobble about on a bike. Not much good to me really. I think he just saw a fat guy and made his mind up about me. Grrr...

I think it just comes down to who serves you. Other times I have been to MBC, I've had great service.

Stu L. said...

Good job, David! I've put my very long response on the forums, which I'm sure you'll see.

To summarise: fantastic effort, getting dropped happens and just serves as more motivation to get faster and hang on!

Groups as big as we started with on Saturday are very difficult to keep together on roads littered with traffic lights. Go with the flow, regroup where you can, and enjoy the chat over a coffee at the end.

Oh yeah... and mad props to PDL! Stop hogging the limelight, big guy ;). Lisa - you're doing amazingly well out there, and I hope we keep on seeing you. It's really great that cycling has become something that you can both enjoy together.

Anonymous said...

Well done both of you (particularly first big ride with cleats, Lisa).

Don't fret about getting dropped - it's early days, it happens to us all (in fact the North Road Ride thread on the BV site is frequently devoted to the subject), and it's a source of both frustration and motivation.

Sounds like a great day out regardless.

See you Tuesday.

Cheers,

D

shaun said...

Go David Go! Go David Go! Gooooo David!!

Sounds like you and Lisa are doing great, real cycling fiends. And to think a few months ago i doubted both of your ability to ride to our place in Sandy - that's just a short venture for you now :) Keep it up, your blog is a regular Monday morning read for me!

Cheers,

Shaun

Anonymous said...

Gotta chortle at your Google ad - "Dating for Cyclists"
I wonder, has anyone clicked on it??

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Vidman :) Wow! a lot has happened since i last checked your blog- you are on your way to a better weight, healthier attitude and meeting some fellow riders on the way... good on you!

All the best mate- and keep it up! If you guys ever fancy a ride on some dirt at Lysterfield park- give me a shout!

Paul.

Anonymous said...

Dad, well done both of you, I'd like to get out on my hybrid but am waiting for better weather, which compared to your great efforts makes me sound a wimp! Keep going, lok forward to October life cycle.