Thursday, September 20, 2007

Feeling fat and fugly

Recently I have been reading "Heft on wheels" which is a true story about a guy who gave up his unhealthy lifestyle and cycled his way to health and weight loss. As it is an American writer, it's all written in pounds rather than kilograms and I haven't a clue what those weights mean compared to kilos. His worst weight was 265lbs and that just "sounds" a lot and so I assumed he was as big as me.

Or so I thought.

So today, in an attempt to stall for time on a job that I was lacking inspiration on, I looked up one of those online conversion websites to see what my weight was in pounds and I was horrified. My current weight (about 140kg is equal to about 300 pounds, while the writer of the above mentioned book's worst weight was just 265 pounds (about 120kgs).

I don't know exactly why but that made me feel so freaken crap to discover this. I mean, it's not like I am suddanly fatter, of less fit or anything. I suppose it just goes to show how damn long a road I have ahead of me and how hard I really am working.

Now, if your reading this and thinking- "20kgs- whats the big deal". I suggest you go pick up a 20 liter container of water and imagine cycling with that on your back. And if your an average build, try imaging riding with 2 to 3 of those strapped to you, while every single pedal stroke has to push against your gut to reach the top of the pedal stroke.

BAH! Double BAH!

Don't mind me, I just feel crap and this is my rant.

*sigh*

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, well it looks like one of the lows you knew you would be up against. Just remember all the highs though - there are far more of those. You are always my inspiration, and I know once you set your mind to do something you do it, and do it above and beyond the call.
I would not have come this far on the bike if it weren't for your belief and encouragement.
That Rapha jersey will be on your back sooner than you know it.
xxoo
PDL

Anonymous said...

Chin up mate it'll soon sort itself out.. Your doing alot of successful rides with good distance's and I can tell your loving hitting the challenges and before long youll be exactly where you want to be.

Anonymous said...

I guess hittings lows is bound to happen. You can't be expected to be on a high with your cycling all the time. Just believe in yourself, and I think you do.

You have a whole forum's worth of friends to support you!

See you on Sat (in my new work ATB jersey!)

Anonymous said...

Oops forgot to sign

Commi

Anne said...

You've gone in hard and tackled a big job big fella - you knew it wasn't going to be easy! But it's better fun and a lot more social than running or swimming. The sun comes up everyday mate - though sometimes it's a bit cloudy!

Dont lose sight of the bigger picture and just keep on pedalling. My advice! The key is to enjoy it. The moment you stop enjoying it then take a step back and look at it again from another angle.

You are going bloody well and you and PDL are covering distances that most people would take 6 months to build up to and feel comfortable doing.

There's a heap of people behind you Dave. And most of them wont mind waiting at the top of the hill or around the corner for you.

Tip to the pound/kilo thing, as rough guide, divide by two and you're within cooee.

Anonymous said...

Mike is probably a foot shorter than you too!! I always wondered just how heavy he was, but was too slack or to scared to calulate it. When I got that book I was a couple of KG heavier than you, still got a real long way to go but I found the total change that he made an inspiration. I hope that his head start doesnt take that away from you. Drop him a note I did and found him a pretty cool bloke.

Like a few others have said it is amazing how quickly you have acheived what you have so far. Enjoy the journey the weight will look after itself.

Jumbo

Vidman said...

Hi Jumbo,
Actually i think Mike (from the book) is 5'10" which is just 2 inches shorter, so that doesn't really make him that much shorter than me (I'm 6ft).

Anyhoo, it was just the one bad day and I bounced back fine the following day.

I'm still reading the book and I AM enjoying it. There was just something about that info that hit me badly. I just put it down to a crappy day and I'm moving on fine and happy again.

:)

Treadly and Me said...

The main thing is you're not just sitting on the couch saying, "What can I do about it?"--you're out there pushing yourself and that's something to feel good about.