Saturday, September 1, 2007

I DID IT!

What did Polka Dot Lisa and I do for our 5th wedding anniversary?

Go riding of course...

Yep- I achived my goal of riding from Northcote to Black Rock and all the way home again, and I did it SOOOO much easier than last week on the BBC ride. And whats more, I could have ridden another 15km more before I would have had to wave the little white flag.

Am I happy?

BLOODY HELL YEAH!!!

Ride stats 01-09-07 - Northcote to Black Rock Return
Dist 53.75km
Trip Time 02:25:28
Av Speed 22.30kph
Max Speed 49kph

We started off leaving home about 6.45am, following the same path as last time Punt Rd > Swan St > St Kilda Rd > Fitzroy St > Beach Rd and back. As we set off, OH MY GAWD! The air was freezing cold. Our faces were stinging and the air hurt our lungs.

We rode on and as we crested the Punt Rd hill at Bridge Rd, I climbed it waaaay better than last week. Hmm, this is looking better I thought.

We rode on up St Kilda Rd and our original plan was to stop for a drink outside BBC to replicate our last ride but I felt too good to stop, so we kept on riding until we stopped for a quick 2 min drink break at a servo somewhere in Brighton and a bottle top up.

Onwards we went and as usual all the more experienced cyclists passed us with one guy mentioning to his mates- "Beginners!" Gee, thanks buddy! However as one group of guys all decked out in Team Discovery gear and riding nice looking Trek's passed me, I latched onto the back of the last guy and managed to ride on his wheel for quite a while (10 mins). Now- I know he was taking it easy and he knew I was behind him also but damn- it felt GREAT. Of course as soon as we hit a rise, the group dropped me but not like previous rides down beach road. I even got to experience my first draft as well and I was amazed at how much easier it was. Polka Dot Lisa even said she was struggling a little to keep up with me. Cool!

As we rode past the spot I turned around at last weekend, I was really feeling a sense of achievement. I had thought about this moment since last Saturday and I was dammed if I was gonna be beaten again.

Down the hill into Black Rock and I was full of energy. I clicked up the gears as I pushed down on the pedals and I zoomed ahead of PDL. I passed one or two riders on the way down the hill and as I rode into the roundabout I couldn't resist myself and I gave a fist pump in the air to celebrate. How embarrassing!

We stopped at Le Knicks as I wanted to see if their size 10/6XL jerseys would fit me and to my horror they were no where near big enough- yikes! The nice woman in the shop said they sometimes get in some size 12 (yep- that's XXXXXXXXL kids!) but truth be told, I doubt they would even fit me. Boy these cycling tops are stupidly small sizes... what gives? In the end, I brought a Liquigas headband which felt nice under my helmet soaking up my sweat but I quickly soaked through that so I will have to get a few more so I can change over during the ride.

We walked across the road to have a drink and stretch in the sun and PDL took some photos of me with the clock with her camera phone (see right) but the photo turned out awful. After a very short break and watching in wonder at the sight of cyclists EVERYWHERE (roads, parks, cafes, side streets) we set off on our return.

Now this was the moment I had been dreading the most- riding back into a slight headwind and back up the hill I so joyfully flew down. Polka Dot Lisa rode off ahead while I spun the pedals in my attempt to make my way up. As I struggled to keep up any pace, hurting from the strain of dragging my heft bulk along, I reminded myself of my HTFU wrist band and talked encouragement to myself. "C'mon David, Harden the fuck up" I kept saying to myself and it DID help. PDL slowed to wait for me at the top of the rise and from then on she was actually struggling to keep up with me (except for inclines of course hehe).

At one stage we took off from a set of lights behind a big peleton and I said to PDL, "Try and stick on their wheels and enjoy the draft" but we didn't have a hope- they took off like a bullet and were out of sight in no time. Ah wishful thinking... LOL

As we came into the home stretch of Beach Rd, I pulled myself up to the rear wheel of a guy and I stuck to him for quite a way until he peeled off. I rode on solo until we got to Cafe Racer where I stopped to wait for PDL.

We found a table to share with an older couple and we both got fruit toast (2 slices) which was too much for me. I think my eating has reduced which is strange considering I am exercising harder than I ever have in my entire life.

PDL noticed that the guy across from me had on a Rapha jersey which has to be the best looking cycling clothing I have ever seen. If you don't know what I'm talking about- do yourselves a favor and go click on that link (don't worry- it will open in a new window so you won't loose this blog). Anyway, I asked him about it and he said it was really nice to wear but also expensive (which he added emphasis with the universal sign for expensive by holding up one hand and rubbing his thumb against the side of his forefinger, LOL).

After a short break and a little leg stretching, we resumed our ride and boy- we could both notice that our bodies had cooled down and it was a lot harder than it was before we stopped. Eventually we got back into the swing of it and headed towards the city down St Kilda Rd. As we rode down, stopping at all the lights, I managed to balance and slowly inch my way forward at every single traffic light to avoid putting my foot down. that reminds me, I really want to get some cheap flat pedals to use to learn the art of track standing!

In the city we stopped at "High and Mighty" to see if they had any new athletic tops in that I could use when cycling but alas, it was all the same stuff so we rode on.

As we came to the intersection of Lonsdale and Swanston St, a tram had stopped at the lights and a police car was also stopped at the lights next to the tram. Myself (on the RHS) and another guy on a bike (on the LHS) stopped behind the cop car and we didn't try working our way past as he didn't have any blinkers on. As the lights changed the cop car moved forward before turning left and coming to a stop. The other rider and I got a shock at this as he didn't have any blinker on and we almost ran up the back of him. Being on the RHS, I maneuvered around the car and as I rode past the drivers window I yelled out very loudly- "BLINKERS" (but I should have added- DICKHEAD after it)!

On the way down Brunswick St, we stopped at Brunswick Street Cycles so I could select some faster tyres and book our bikes in for their free 200km service. After choosing Continental Ultra Gatorskin 25mm's (which I would go back to pickup later in the day), we rode home where I was ecstatic to have achieved my aim and I celebrated with a high 5 with PDL! Not only did I make the full ride- I did it with plenty of energy to spare! What a difference 7 days makes.

I spent the rest of the day, unable to wipe the smile off my face! Fantastic!

Next week- the same ride only FASTER!

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific effort David. You & PDL are really knocking out the kays. Take care with those new Gatorskins mate. They roll really fast & don't want you getting any speeding tickets LOL

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary kids!

Wasn't it a beautiful day yesterday? I went for a St Kilda - Frankston ride and loved it. Also could have kept going. But coffee at racer stopped us!!

Congrats for your ride, too!!

Happy spinning,
Commi

Anonymous said...

Mark Said,

Well done, it stange the more times you go out the more good days there are.

Reading your bolg reminded me of both a funny and inspirational book I read a year or so ago called Heft on heels, I think you may enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your efforts, and the anniversary.
How are you guys on the sewing machine? You could have a niche market there, sports wear for bigger people cause surely you aren't Robinson Caruso not being able to get stuff to fit.
Ron