Thursday, August 30, 2007

Peer pressure, polka dots, crashes and flipping stems!

Since last weekend's BBC ride, I have been mentally planning to complete the ride this coming weekend. Knowing just how short I missed out on making the turnaround point, I am more determined than ever this coming Saturday.

Our plan is to leave at the same time as last weekend and to retrace our steps, stoping for a small break outside BBC, then riding straight down to Black Rock where a small rest and drink will be followed by riding back to St Kilda for breakfast. Then after breakky, I hope to be able to ride all the way home.

If I can do all that, I will be really proud of myself. In fact, the mere fact that I am posting my plans on my blog means I am putting pressure on myself to complete the ride this week. I'll make it by hook or by crook!

This week we have been riding to and from work everyday except for Tuesday when I had to take mum into hospital for her final Chemo treatment. After taking back the bottle cages (they turned out to be handlebar fitting ones) I bought on Sunday, I finally found some black plain aluminum ones at Melbourne Bicycle Centre this morning. With the different route we rode this morning, it was a lot of fun flying down Queens Parade where I hit over 40kph with minimal effort.

Tuesday night, I flipped around my stem to lower the bars a bit and I also adjusted the bar ends, shifters and brake levers to fit me better. After riding the bike on Wednesday to work, I was immediately more comfortable on the bike in every aspect and I felt less like a wind sail. Strange really, I would have thought lower bars would equal less comfort.

So far, I have been feeling ever so slightly stronger on the bike with my legs and lungs suffering less on the inclines. I just wish i could shake this nagging dry cough I've had for the past few months. It's really starting to piss me off when I ride.

During the week, Kenneth from the BBC ride had a pretty big crash at 50kph. Apparently he was riding down a hill when for some reason he was thrown over the bars, hitting the ground face first. After a trip to the Alfred Hospital, he was released that night and is recovering at home. Reading his posts on the BV forum, I get the sense that he is a bit fearful of getting back on his bike. I really hope he doesn't let that put him off.

Lastly, Polka Dot Lisa bought a very cool jersey off eBay this week which she should have very soon (it's coming from the USA). Whats really cool about the jersey is the back of it is covered with Polka Dots. Perfect!

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like someone has a polka dot fetish!!

Commi

Anne said...

Go Vidman, GO!