Thursday, September 6, 2007

Look what I got today!

Wow!
Today I was most fortunate to be GIVEN for free a Minoura Rim Drive trainer for free by Jumbo (Mark) from the BV forum. I feel so humbled that a stranger would just give it to me with the only request that I put it to use (which I plan to do as much as I can).

I got home and set up the trainer in the lounge, put on my knicks and shoes and had a quick spin to see what it was like. I was actually surprised how hard it was and I could feel the heat build up even on a quick spin.

I set up the fan and got to work while Polka Dot Lisa took photos for this blog and Miette watched on, acting as my coach. Quickly I was dripping with sweat and PDL grabbed me some towels. Spicks and Specks came on the TV and my aim was to ride till the end (30 mins), but PDL had dinner ready at the 20 min mark so I gladly stopped to eat and rest.

I was covered in sweat, even though I had a fan blowing straight on me and had stripped down to just the knicks. The trainer was working great but the constant work on the pedals without any break that you get on the road was really killing me. But I suppose that is the point- It's not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to give you a workout and that it did in spades!

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

As someone suggested on BV you might want to think about covering parts of the bike so it doesn't get drenched in sweat!!

How does Miette like it? Not freaking her out?

And how loud is it?

Commi

Vidman said...

Yeah I did have some towels covering the bike. I just didn't have any when I first started on the trainer (when those photos were taken) but PDL soon grabbed some for me to use as I was dripping like a tap (see the blogs current header graphic).

The trainer was pretty quiet and PDL was able to watch TV with no probs even with me only 2mts from her.

Overall I am extremely happy with the trainer. I just want to get a steel skewer, a new camp to hold the adjuster on the bars and a light weight mat to put under the bike (I used our shag pile mat atm but it's not a great long term solution).

Oh, and Miette wasn't phased by it one bit. Though she would have preferred the heater was on and not the fan. She was more perplexed than anything.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't loud at all. I could easily lounge on the couch with my feet up watching the teev whilst David sweated it out on the bike ;) I could tell Miette would rather have had the heater on than the fan though!

PDL

Anonymous said...

Try one of these thingies for re-charging lights + batteries. Might have crack at doing a DIY version. Possibly.