Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunshine, flat tyres, sprints and man love

What a great day for riding. After standing on our balcony watching the hot air ballons take off into a beautiful sunrise, we set off. Shortly after we met up by chance with Allez Allez from BV on Hoddle St and rode as a threesome down to St Kilda for the meeting point. We followed Allez Allez through Gosch's Paddock, then up the steep hill of Anderson St past the Botanical Gardens which really hurt me but I made it. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have even thought about riding up that hill. Down Beach Rd we were all enjoying the ride too much and as we approached Fitzroy St we all realized we had ridden past the meeting point and had to pootle back on the footpath (slowly). Doh!

Good turn out and a nicely behaved ride down. It was really nice to be up at the front of the group for once. Along the way an older guy asked me if he could join the group, to which I replied "of course". We chatted for about 15k's before I dropped him somewhere around Hampton. Turns out he had been out of cycling for about two years and was really enjoying being back in the saddle and and wondered why he had left it so long. I told him about BV and he sounded keen to further investigate. Vidman recruits: one.

I was shocked to be able to stay with the group without ANY problems on the way down. I can't believe it was just 2 short weeks ago I struggled on the BBC ride and now the rises that I struggled with so much just seemed to pass under the wheels without so much as a sweat broken. I actually wished the group would pick up the pace a little!

On our descent into Black Rock, everyone was cruising down slowly so I jumped out of the saddle, sprinted past everyone and hurtled down into Black Rock at top speed - I couldn't resist the chance to stretch the legs and go for a sprint. Downhill is the ONLY place where overweight has its advantage.. LOL! As Polka Dot Lisa said- "you can take the boy out of the racing, but you can't take the racer out of the boy!"

On the way down to Mordi a dog darted out from behind a car directly into my path but unbeknown to me, was on a leash and was pulled back just in time. Boy, did I shit myself over that one! Mordi was filled with bikes - WOW. PDL, RedZ61, Tennisdude and someone else (sorry I can't remember who you were now) had a dunny stop and drink before heading back. The Mordi pier was blocked off by the cops and later that night on the news we saw that some guy chained his wife up in the car and drove it off the pier to kill her!

The ride back was a bit harder with more uphills. After the series of hills to Black Rock my legs were feeling pretty dead. I did hang on to the back of a group for a while until a rise saw me drop off- damn those hills! The rise out of Black Rock hit me hard but I used the power of the HTFU wristband to drag my sorry ass over the top and was fine the rest of the way, sitting on about 25-30 kph.

A cafe stop in Hampton with RedZ61 and Tennisdude whilst PDL did Cog's Girls refresher course was nice, though after about 20 mins, all the cyclists left leaving us as the only lycra clad customers left.

After a while the guys went their own ways so I stretched out on a park bench and took in the sun. It was oh so nice to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and I was hoping to keep my muscles warmed up for the return ride (it didn't).

On the way back I think I was giving PDL a run for her money and she was working hard to keep up to my pace (however she hadn't had any lunch, and she was still riding while I sat and relaxed so fair's fair). We stopped on the St Kilda foreshore for a dunny stop, water refil and photo, but while walking back out to the road (with PDL behind me as she had stopped to adjust her shoe) two gay guys we walked past apparently gave me the BIG check out and noise of approval! They much have a thing for fat guys?

As we rode into the city, the road was really packed with cars and to PDL's credit, she handled the weaving through the traffic jam without any drama. Riding up Swanston St I got my first flat. Bugger! While working on the front wheel, a guy knocked my bike over with his shopping- nice work MATE!

Whilst trying to pump up the new tube, the pump would only take it to 40psi. Considering I usually run it at 110 - well you get the picture. I had to really nurse the bike till I could get it pumped up (keeping the front light over any bumps). Time for a new pump me thinks. We carefully rode home via Brunswick Street where we stopped at BSC to pump up my front with their track pump.

All in all it was another big jump in distance and fitness for me. I can't believe how quickly I have progressed in so little time. PDL also regained her confidence after last Sundays incident which was also good to see. It was mentioned to me several times and also to PDL that given how I am riding with my current weight and fitness, when I drop down in size I will really fly. I can't wait!

Ride Stats 08-09-07 - Northcote > Mordialloc > Northcote
Dist: 74.33km
Time: 3:12:13
Max: 50.5kph
Average: 23.2kph

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work big guy!! Before you know it you'll be going up Hopes Rise!!!!

Sorry didn't get to talk to you Sat apart from saying hi at the start. I forgot some were only going to Mordi so Weeeee and I (who were at the back of the group to begin with) took off after 10mins or so to join the front of the group.

Saw the Mordi pier thing on the news. Wonder how she escaped even though she was chained?

And did you see the old wooden ship with the sails?? Kinda like the first fleet type ship.

Commi

Vidman said...

Yeah I was hoping to ride with you a bit also but I got kinda caught up riding with others and before I knew it I was at Mordi.

I "thought" I was riding at the front of the pack but for all I know, everyone passed me *shrug*.

I know I was riding just behind the woman in the Red gear with the swiss cross on it all the way to Black Rock (until I sprinted past all in front and then pulled up and waited).

Anyhoo, I'm going to do St Kilda to Mordi again next weekend if your interested and maybe the weekend after that- all the way to Frankston (that would make a round trip of about 110k's).

PS- Yes I did see the old sailing ship. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Much respect... was hoping to come down for this ride, but my Friday evening conspired against me waking up early on Saturday... no matter... next time....

Snuff

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great ride. Just stopped by to say hi to another cycling blogger! :-)