Sunday, September 16, 2007

WHAT a day!

Yesterday was quite a day for me and Polka Dot Lisa with our first 100km plus ride, a mechanical incident, several close calls with stupid drivers, an uncooperative bike shop and a near car door crash!

It started with another early start and a ride down to meet up with a group to ride down Beach Rd to Frankston. It started OK but as PDL and I hit the hill of Anderson St, Sth Yarra (next to the Botanical gardens). We both really struggled to make it over - I felt worse over this climb than last weekend and I was a bit apprehensive about the ride ahead. My legs just didn't feel full of energy and I was a touch concerned.

On Beaconsfield Pde, we meet up with several riders in the group (everyone seems to know me by my green jacket). Outside the Beaconsfield Hotel (the meeting point) a group of about 12 riders showed up all ready to hit the road.

We take off down Beach Road and the pace was pretty swift right from the start. Polka Dot Lisa and I were keeping up OK, but we could feel the strain of the pace and wondered if we would be able to make it to Frankston at this speed. All was going fine till the climb just before Black Rock where the rest took off leaving PDL and myself for dust. We tried to catch up over the rolling hills around Rickets Point but try as we did (and we gave it our all), the best we could do was get within about 150mts when the bunch stopped at a crossing.

PDL was worried about not being able to make the distance and wanted to turn around at Mordi, but I kept reassuring her that from Mordi to Frankston was dead flat and if we got too tired we could always catch the train. As we came into Mordi we saw the group in the car park and we pulled into regroup and refuel.

We were both pretty stuffed at this stage and I slumped over my bars for a moment, trying to regain my breath after the hammering I have given my legs and lungs until now. Apparently we were only 30 seconds behind them and everyone seemed surprised that we were that close after their sprint (or were they just being nice? LOL).

A drink, pee and munch on some dried apricots and jelly babies gave us a sugar filled boost and a now much smaller group headed south while about half the original group turned back towards St Kilda.

As we headed south, we turned left to ride down the other side of the train tracks. As we came around the left hand turn (in the left hand lane), some tool in a white shit box zoomed around us WAAAAY too close, almost touching Sally and Bryce. We all stopped at the boomgates where Bryce knocked on the guy's passenger window and said "that was too close and uncalled for". The guy's response was to jump out of his car - and he looked like he was gonna knock Bryce's head off. There were a few heated words thrown and I think the driver saw the 20+ riders stopped there, then thought better of trying to punch Bryce. Just as he looked like he was gonna go back for more, I yelled out, "Are you sure you want to take us all on mate?" and he retreated to his tin box, the gates lifted and we all moved on. I just can not understand this aggressive attitude some drivers have. 20+ bicycles were taking up only 1 of 2 lanes, with little traffic about, yet he seems to think we should be off the road and out of his way!

Onwards we rode, on a perfectly smooth road surface such delight to ride on. As we crossed back onto Nepean Hwy (a dogleg over the train lines), several of us mid pack missed the traffic lights lights changing so there was sudden squealing of brakes and frantic un-clipping of shoes from pedals. Oops!

Coming into Frankston I was feeling nervous about the "optional" climb up Hopes Rise (Olivers hill). My ego wanted me to do it but the rest of me didn't. As we just started the initial climb I could feel my legs straining already so with the last place to stop and u-turn upon me, I pulled out and PDL did too. We rode back to the Frankston Visitors Centre to waited for the rest. I was surprised how quickly they arrived back and we all sat around and chatted, drank and munched.

Just as we were about to head back I noticed a broken spoke on the rear wheel (drive side). We took out the broken spoke and tried to remove the other end at the hub, but were unable to remove the gears to get at it so we had to leave it in flopping about as I rode. Everyone assured me it would be safe but I was a bit nervous. I'm a big guy so one broken spoke and 50km to ride had me worried.

Just about this time Matt (Commi) from BV forum turns up having ridden down from Windsor solo at top speed. He had slept in and had to play catch up to meet up with us. I was surprised that he still wanted to do Hopes Rise after the smashing he had just given his legs already. We waited a few minutes for him to do the climb and return. What an effort!

Heading back I was careful to avoid any bumps and I rode on the RHS to get some shelter from the wind. Dale was kind enough to shelter me by riding on my left which I appreciated VERY much.

Another quick stop at Mordi then into the section I dreaded the most - climbing back up the rolling hills to the top of the cliffs around Black Rock beach. I had cause to be worried because I was pretty tired at this point, before we even got to the hills.

As each hill passed I hurt more and more, struggling along and spinning my legs. Damn, I was slow but I kept going forwards; cursing and egging myself onwards. I wasn't wearing my HTFU band - dammit! Ross rode with me most of the way so I wouldn't be riding solo and I appreciated this very much as everyone else had disappeared off ahead.

As we came out of the Black Rock roundabout I had one last hill ahead and I was so close to walking at one stage but once again - I willed myself to make it to the top. PDL had stopped and waited for me as I think she was worried about me. I rode on past her, telling her I was OK and not wanting to break what little momentum I had. I was sooooo glad to finally make it to the top of all the climbs and knew I would be OK from now on. a little way down the road, around Sandringham, the group had pulled over to wait for PDL and me.

I pulled up and slumped over the bars (again) and everyone was full of encouragement (again). Stu (Stubacca) said that next week they should all wear backpacks with 40kg's in them and I would smash them, LOL. I really appreciated the comments yet again but I was starting to feel embarrassed at being the centre of attention. I also felt bad for holding everyone up when I know they could have all zoomed off without a care in the world. Maybe I should hold off on longer rides until I am fitter and faster so I don't slow the group down.

Finally we turned into the finishing straight and to my relief, I could see the Palais Theatre ahead of me. I was pretty spent at this stage, so it was like seeing the '1km to go' kite in the at the Tour De France...but with out the sprinting! Every single part of me was hurting and I was pretty much willing myself to go on with every pedal stroke. It was then I said to PDL "when we get to the cafe I'm going to lie down on the footpath." She did not say it at the time, but she hoped I would not really do it - which I didn't, LOL.

We rode up Fitzroy St and I was so tired I struggled to clip in my shoe after each traffic light. I was rooted! Finally we made it to breakfast and whilst everyone was trying to find a place for us to sit, I just slumped on the step near the doorway. Everyone laughed at me, but I didn't mind - I was far too tired to care!

After some food, drink and a rest I felt a ton better and we all went our separate ways with PDL and I riding around Albert Park lake, onto St Kilda Rd and up Swanston St towards home.

We were riding at a gentle pace up Swanston St when a horse and buggy pulled out straight in front of me (no signals, didn't even look), causing me to slam on the brakes and giving me quite a scare. As I came to a skidding stop I let out in exclamation - "FUCK" to no one in particular, to which the driver finally turned his head and yelled at me - "Ya gotta give way to horses mate - and don't swear!" I was pretty angry and yelled back "You just pulled straight into my path and I almost fell off" to which he yelled something that I didn't catch. Would he have pulled out like that if I was a taxi or a tram? No of course not. But a cyclist doesn't matter - we are expendable. Maybe I should have just run into his horses?

As I got back riding again, PDL pulled along side me and told me what the driver said that I didn't hear. He said "Why don't you lose some weight". I was FURIOUS to hear this and I was in two minds as to turn around and pull him up and confront him. The traffic incident is one thing, but to insult my weight is a totally different matter and I will be making a formal complaint to the operator of the horse and buggy rides, requesting an apology. I am NOT letting that one go. No way - no how!

We rode on, planing to stop at BSC to get the broken spoke replaced but as we rode slowly and carefully down Brunswick St in the cycle lane, suddenly a car door was flung out in front of me and I locked up both wheels up in an attempt to avoid slamming into the door. The driver pulled the door back a bit just in time as I finally came to a stop with my front wheel just past the edge of the door (missed the edge by 2cm) and I had to grab hold of the door to stop my self from falling (feet still clipped in).

The guy immediately started apologizing but I was in shock at the near miss and could only say gently "OK - mistakes happen but please look before opening your door from now on". I still had a block or two before reaching the bike shop but was too shaken up at this point so wheeled on to the footpath where I crouched down next to the bike to compose myself (I was shaking a bit). The driver and his partner came over to see if I was OK. I just repeated what I had already said (it was all I could think of; in my mind I kept seeing the door edge flying towards me over and over- yikes!).

OK, that's incident number 2, moving on.

Into BSC and the bike mechanics tell me that I must have fallen on the RHS (pointing at some scratches on the rear derailer) which has caused the derailer bracket to bend, which in turn caused the chain to come off, damaging all the spokes on the RHS, (which was why one of them broke). They said it was going to cost me about $70+ dollars to fix which didn't impress me at all as the bike had not received the damage they claim it had. I told them the truth of the bikes history-

1) The only time the chain jumped off was on my second ride, 1km from home, which caused the bike to lock up.
2)Right after the chain jump incident, I took the bike straight down to be fixed (where they just adjusted the gears).
3) The bike had NEVER been dropped on the RHS up until that point (not even bumped).
4) I DID fall on the 4th week of owning the bike which "may" have bent the bracket but that was AFTER the chain jump incident anyway.

The mechanics (who also referred the matter to the boss) kept holding the line that there is no way it could have happed without the bracket being bent (by me) and I kept sticking to my side of the story (which was 110% true, as recorded right here in this blog!!). Finally they begrudgingly backed down and said "if you feel THAT strongly about it, we will do it for free but its gonna take a few hours". Gee - screw you too!

Now I was in the position that I had cycling shoes on, was 3km from home and I had to be home in 20 mins so I could drive PDL to a meeting at 3pm. The shop gave me a loaner bike which was the biggest pile of crap I have ever ridden. It was a Malvern Star MTB with a seat pointed WAY up at the front, soft spongy tyres and front suspension that bounced like a pogo stick. I was embarrassed to be seen riding this pile of junk and I was so slow on it (remembering I am already knacked). I felt like I was riding on an old tractor. YUK. PDL could not ride slow enough to keep up with me...or was it just that I was cramping her style? LOL.

Just as we are 20 metres from home in a service road with only High St to cross to be home, a white hatch zooms from no where, swerving around me and he pulls up to a stop next to Lisa (who was just coming to a stop at the intersection). I could see it startled PDL, so as I pulled up next to the car (on his LHS) I said calmly, "slow down a bit buddy". As usual with an abusive car driver, he started yelling at me, "why don't you ride on the bike path, fuck you, blah blah blah..." to which PDL and I said that we have every right to ride on the road. The tool in the tin box started swearing at me so I started yelling back for him to "get out and say it to me you chicken shit". I felt like I wanted to knock this prick to the ground - I had had enough crap for one day, but of course the pathetic bully just drove off, pulling out onto the road which caused him to be beeped for being a dick head and cutting the other cars off. I hope his bimbo girlfriend sitting next to him was suitably horrified at his behavior but somehow I doubt it. Idiots tend to stick together.

Once we are home, PDL quickly changes out of her lycra, I drive her to her meeting, come home, jump BACK on the shite bike, ride back to BSC (expecting some hassles with the boss about my bike but thankfully it was ok), grabbed my bike and rode home (again). Wow, the difference between the bikes was night and day.

Ride Stats 15-09-07 - Northcote > Frankston > Northcote
Dist: 112.27km
Time: 4:35:30
Max: 46.6kph
Average: 24.6kph

Overall, I did almost 40km further than my previous longest ride, our average speed was our best yet, the wind was its worst and all this just 3 weeks after my inability to complete our first BBC ride to Black Rock.

Am I happy? YOU BET!

I have to say that I am less than thrilled with the service from BSC. The workshop staff make you feel like you are intruding, are less than cheerful and their work is questionable. Two of the sales staff have been VERY helpful (particularly Ben - nice guy, always happy to chat no matter how busy he is and I always get knowledgeable service from him), but some staff treated me like I knew nothing. NEVER underestimate a customer!

So, if you are a bike shop owner and are reading this, we would like to find a new LBS- we are committed to cycling, will be buying road bikes as soon as finances allow and we will continuing to need parts, accessories and service, so leave a comment with your shops details and your name so we can ask for you :)

Oh and one laaaaaast thing, I did my first weight check in this morning (Sunday) and I am down from 141.1kg last weekend to 139.9kg. That's a drop of 1.2kg's in exactly 7 days.

Woohoo!

Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did really well mate, The pace was ok, but I would have lost all remaining faith in myself if you had still been there at the end of the Black Rock sprint, Sorry about that, couldnt resist, as you said "You can't take the racer..." In our defence we waited till everyone was back on, (annoying the peleton we had just passed) and backed of the pace until about the last 4 klicks into mordi. (and now you know the traditional Beach Road sprint points :)

I would have really struggled on the way home if I had gone to frankston and likely made myself sicker. I have a couple of "Hopes rise' hills on the last few klicks home. So I think I made the right decision to turn back.

And as you will have read I very nearly flattened some pretentions 'Indiana Jones' type myself. Must have been the day for it.

I think you did wonderfully well.
Lose that 30 kg and you will be taking out some of those sprints.

Regards
Dave (Percrime)

Anonymous said...

Well done to both David and PDL on completing your first TON on your bikes.
As you continue to ride, the weight will continue to drop as well as your fitness improve - so I think you'll be a great rider.

See you on Beach Road when I return from the Gold Coast :-)

Penny (PennyR)

Anonymous said...

Did you get the horse buggy's rego?? I'll "fix" one of their spokes next time I'm in the city.

Keep doing the rides (well, maybe a few more Mordis). It only gets easier.

You have Melb Bicyle Centre in Clifton Hill and Fitzroy Cycles in Fitzroy near you if you're local for another LBS

Commi

Anonymous said...

Hi David and Lisa
I really enjoyed the ride yesterday. Beautiful day, good pace and distance, excellent coffee! Sorry to hear about your run ins with bad drivers. As for the horse and carriage... I hate riding on Swanston St. Pedestrians, trams, parked cars, and now those stupid 'Copenhagen' bike lanes... Enough rant. Glad to hear you're still walking after yesterday's super effort. If you're up for a ride again next Sat I'll be in. Sally

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with your efforts Vidman and PDL! It's not an easy ride when the wind gets up.

I see that you guys were absolutely wrecked when you got to Mordi and then when you got back to St Kilda. It sounds like you might have bonked (run out of all energy), which feels awful. I have learnt that the riders who fuel themselves the best will feel better throughout the ride. My partner finds that he gets stronger towards the end of long (100+km) rides while some others will start to get tired; this is because he eats well.

You might find that you need to eat sooner than Mordi and continue to eat every half hour throughout the ride. Choose foods that are a mix of low and high GI... lollies and suger will give you an instant hit of energy that won't last long and you'll soon need more lollies.

It seems counter-intuitive that you need to eat more when trying to lose weight, but this will actually make your ride more comfortable. Your metabolism increases with more exercise so you'll be burning more energy anyway.

Good luck with your ride next week!

Stu L. said...

Great effort on the ride, vidman and PDL! I thought you both did incredibly well making the distance as strongly as you did. As I said to you at coffee afterwards, some of the cocky young lads I've ridden with didn't do nearly as well on their first attempt at that ride.

Sorry if we pushed the pace a little high at times; don't be afraid to be vocal if you want the two at the front to ride a little slower!

Re: eating - I think you'll definitely find you need to eat more during longer rides, and importantly more substantial foods (e.g. muesli bars, energy bars, bananas, peanut butter and jam sandwiches). I'd guess you'd be burning more than 1000 calories per hour on these rides, which is one heckuva lot to ask of your energy stores!

Also, what are you and PDL drinking on the rides? I typically drink about 1 bidon per hour to keep my fluids up, alternating between energy drink and plain water. I find I definitely need the energy drink to help replenish the electrolytes, sugar and other nutrients I lose along the way.

Keep up the great work. It only gets easier, and soon enough you'll stop seeing those Beach Rd ups-and-downs as climbs. :)

Vidman said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Re the food- yes PDL and I have talked about that and we really need to eat more as we are running out of energy too quickly on the longer rides.

After breakfast last Sat, I was able to ride with far more energy that before the stop.

Up till now we have just been drinking water but I will make one of my bottles Poweraide from now on.

So far we have started the day with a banana, honey and wheat germ smoothie (with soy milk) and then just drinking water until the breakfast stop but the Frankston ride we took a bag of dried apricots and jelly babies. I think we need to rethink this approach and add some better energy foods and more of them.

I also think my troubles with the hills (OK- rises for the rest of you) have a LOT to do with the fact I am carrying so much weight. That will only get better with time.

Anne said...

Bloody great effort as previous have stated Vidman and PDL. Really impressed. It was an enjoyable morning.

Keep it up -

Unknown said...

Legend!

... and to think a couple of weeks ago you were saying that 100k was out of reach.

Vidman said...

Yes I know Ben, I remebered your words when as I crossed the 100k mark (lol), but remember- Beach Rd is flat as a tack. The hills around Mt Eliza would kill me I think.

Give me time to drop some weight and I'll fly. By the 2008 ATB I should be able to do the full loop me thinks!

We are doing the same ride this Sat (starting 7am) with some doing Mt Eliza as well. Feel free to come along and join the group. I "may" have a surprise in store if all pans out! *smirk*